Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day


Well today was St. Patrick's Day, I wish I would have had more time to prepare, but things have been crazy around here trying to pack, school and parent!! But all in all we had a pretty good day!! Actually in the last 2 days we have had our fair share of learning about Saint Patrick, Shamrocks, Rainbows and brainstorming our own meaning behind the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Well do you want to know what we came up with? Sure I'll tell you at the end of this post...ha ha ha.
Okay okay I know you are noticing the girl in the picture....I only have boys, but this week we have the wonderful privilege of having our Niece Kassandra staying with us. She has been a great joy to have around...believe me it's definitely nice to have another female figure in our home!

Well to start off our week I will fill you in on what is happening with our schoolwork. Monday we began working on our St. Patrick's Day lapbook, which by the way was a lot of fun. The kids did a great job. I am learning though, that I really need to give them more time to complete these holiday lapbooks! It is a lot to fit into 2 days, well actually 1 1/2 days! Here is a video I did of their Lapbook so check it out: (sorry it's sideways)


Hope you liked it!!

Well other activities we did of the last 2 days included making Irish hats, and the kids wanted to decorate our tree for this day. Yea yea I know!! lol They made a paper chain with green paper strips, green and blue crosses and then Mick thought an Irish hat would be great for the tree topper!
Oh yea let me tell you about the craziest thing that happened today! This morning the phone rang and Danny answered it. He brought the phone over to me and said "Mom it's a little Irish man!" I gave him that look...you know the one I mean...as the person on the phone could clearly hear him. I took the phone and to my surprise the man on the other end had an Irish accent!!!!!! I had a hard time not to laugh (and no I do not laugh at people for their differences) but the whole thing was so fitting being it is St. Patrick's Day and all. When I hung up Danny said "See mom I wasn't lying was I?" I couldn't help but laugh!

Well tomorrow is the start of some new units, which meant a library visit for us today. Okay I had 6 kids a the library and then added one to the crew while there, so it wasn't as quiet as a library should be. The good thing is we did successfully get the books we needed!! Hooray. I just know these situations are good for the ongoing work with in me....believe me these times can make a mother boil! but I am learning to let them be kids, where you can hear kids laughing means there is happiness and life! Anyway back to our new units. Tomorrow we will begin a study on Volcanoes and we are all doing this one together, on top of this we have for Social; Knights, Castles and the Middle Ages. Noah is going to start his CARS Totbook which once again we got from this site. Of course we will be continuing on with our continental hopping for Daniel and our Canada study for Josh and Mick.
Since our niece is staying with us I told her that she had to participate in schooling, surprisingly she was all for it. She chose a dolphin lapbook from Homeschool Share. She also got a book at the library from the Dolphin Diaries series.
Oh yea did I mention that we have started the Prince Caspian unit study for our reading as well. Phew, we have a lot on the go but most of what we are doing they will be able to do on their own, which will help me so I can focus a bit more on packing.
Well that is a view of what our week has been so far and will look like for the days ahead. Check back with us later in the week to see any new post we have. I do plan to do a couple videos on the kids' notebooking so far and our Dinosaur books...I still need to help Danny assemble his.
Blessings to you all

p.s. I know you thought I forgot didn't you....Pot of Gold at the end of the Rainbow: The rainbow represents God's promise and LOVE for us all, the pot of gold represents the treasure waiting for us for believing and having FAITH in Him!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment